Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fourth of July

We celebrated the 4th of July with a Swiss twist. I am one of those people who like to keep with tradition. The 4th of July is my favorite holiday and I have certain things that are...well required. Red Vine Licorice, meat, not being stuck inside, marshmallows, watermelon, feeling American and hopefully a pasta salad or potato salad. A few days before the holiday, I saw in a grocery store add that they would have some "American" products for sell on the 4th. So as soon as Jachen got home from work on the 4th we headed there and loaded the cart with what they deem as American. Earlier that day I made a pasta salad so all that was missing was meat. Unfortunately already cooked meat isn't a thing here, you either have to be at the right place or at the right time. So we settled on some dry meat...I think salami sticks, I just forgot the word. However, we did buy mini hamburgers. HA. I decided that counted. They don't sell Red Vines, so I settled on some sour rope candy. OH and of course had to have me some "American" Coca~cola. A little story about the crispy M&M's...I always wondered what happened to them. They don't sell it anymore in the USA(or Lynnwood WA) and I loved the crispy ones...well good ol' Switzy had them at the grocery store. So I guess they still exist. After filling up our bags with food, we headed to find a nice place for a picnic. I love picnics. Even more so I love picnics with a view. There are some breathtaking views here, but hardly can you park the car and picnic by the views. We found this patch of grass that was practically on a hill, about half of where we sat was flat, the rest was DOWNhill. BUT it was worth it because we had a VIEW I tell ya. You could see so much, Germany, lake Konstanz, St Gallen etc etc. Click on the panoramic to see bigger. We chatted, ate, took pics, would have played Skipbo but there was a nice breeze, hung out, had some cow visitors, watched hot air balloons, a Zeppelin and enjoyed laying in the sun and breeze. And, thanks to my parents for sending me American flags and paper plates.
























What a beautiful way to celebrate.

2 comments:

kaitlin said...

two things. well three.
1. did i not mention to you that they sell crispy m&ms by the bags over there? all over. i ate them too much, i got sick of them. or like were you saying that was a discovery the first switzy trip? maybe that's what you were saying.
2. jos and i were TOTALLY going to smuggle you in some sparklers and pop its!! pop its meaning those things that you throw on the ground and they pop. but then people told us that you can be fined hundreds of dollars and the plane can catch fire and your package can be confiscated and we didn't want to risk it. james told us to hide them in a sock. hahaa. but now i'm regretting it.
c. that looks like fun! i miss you.

cropit! i lovee when there are real words!!!

Natalie said...

Happy 4th! I'm glad you found some of your traditions there! Funny about the crispy M&M's, I love them too! I love that JAchen is wearing that shirt. We missed you!